One of the best ways to ensure that the body performs to its optimal level and still remains healthy is through supplements. We will explain the importance of running supplements in this article. Supplements can be generally defined as a product ingested into the body containing added nutritional values. In other words, supplements stand in for where normal food does not reach.
Why can’t a person just eat healthy foods?
Many sceptics have doubted the importance of running supplements, stating that these are of no value. That they can just take a normal healthy meal and these meals will do the trick. Well, to some level, these people are right. Someone is able to acquire these nutrients solely from food. As a matter of fact, supplements are made from ingredients that come from these food substances.
There are a few short-comings to the above theory though:
- For anyone to ingest the required amount of nutrients, they would have to eat a very large amount of food daily.
- The market is flooded with processed foods hence getting a healthy meal can be a challenge.
- Even if one was to plant their own food, the soil might have been contaminated by chemicals, making it insufficient to grow healthy food.
- Stress on today’s working conditions, eating on the go; poor eating habits contribute to poor digestion. Poor digestion means that nutrients are not being fully absorbed from the food into the body.
- Some periods in life, like marathon athletics, sickness or pregnancy may naturally require more nutrient intake.
- Some specific nutrients have been known to cure or prevent some illnesses like cancer or diabetes.
Hence, from the above reasons alone, and probably many more, the importance of running supplements is demonstrated.
Different supplements for different conditions.
Although some people may discount the importance of supplements, there are those who diligently take them. Those who partake of them have seen their benefits, yet others may have not. This may be due to one major reason; different people have different needs and this calls for unique, specific supplements for each one.
Not every product works for all people. For instance, there are pregnancy supplements, marathon supplements, convalescent supplements, and kid’s supplements among many others. This means that these different supplements contain different nutrients designed to help these groups of people achieve their health goals.
Types of supplements.
There are various types of supplements in the market. There are the synthetic supplements and the whole foods, organic supplements. The fact is, synthetic supplements are not absorbed into the body and hence do nothing to help you.
Creatinine is typically regarded as a marathon supplement since it is known to build strength among runners and athletes in general. Vitamins and minerals like omega3, folic acid, and iron are great for convalescents and pregnant women. These are the typical groups of people who need these supplements. On many occasions, even normal healthy people have taken supplements just to keep the good health and improve their livelihoods.
With all said and done, before anyone begins the use of any type of supplements, consult with your doctor. Pregnancy supplements, marathon supplements, illness supplements, general supplements are all ok for as long as one gets a word from their doctor.